The first step in Empowering your Relationships is to develop your own personal power, or Self-Empowerment*. There are several steps to this process. The first step is Self-Awareness.
You may think you know yourself pretty well, and you may in fact, know quite a bit about the inner workings of your personality. We all have hidden sides to ourselves, much like a large house with rooms that are closed off for one reason or another. When we avoid looking in those closed-off places it tends to produce distress, fear, confusion, and anxiety.
Here are some questions that can help you begin to open some doors:
(This is a writing exercise—you need to record your responses so you can read them back to yourself and re-read them to see if you want to add to or change any of your answers. When you re-read what you’ve written, notice any reply that surprises you. Writing your responses on paper helps encourage the subjective/ emotional side of your brain rather than the logical side.)
- I feel wonderful when I:
- I would feel more wonderful if I:
- What I fear most is:
- What I know about myself:
- Experiences that have shaped my values and attitudes:
- I feel happiest, most at peace, and in charge of my life when:
- What things I’ve learned that make me a better person:
- What qualities I have that I want to pass on to my children:
- What I need to learn more about to understand myself better:
*Self-Empowerment: To become stronger and more confident, especially in controlling your life and claiming your rights. (Oxford Dictionary)