Here’s an interesting exercise to help you look at how you decided on your parenting style and/or practices. Be sure to write down your response so you can reflect, add to, or perhaps change what your initial reaction was.
The process of empowering yourself includes lots of reflection as a way to understand and learn more about yourself. You may have already given some thoughts to the following statements.
Here are the questions:
1. Things my parents did I swore I would never do:
2. Things I did instead:
3. What I discovered works:
4. What I discovered doesn’t work:
5. Ways I am similar to my parent:
6. Ways I am different from my parent:
7. My best qualities as a parent:
8. Areas where I would like to improve as a parent: